When not writing, daydreaming, or chasing after her kids, Billie can be found tending her organic vegetable garden, practicing yoga, or hiding in California from the bitter cold; usually with chocolate, coffee, a martini, or a chocolate coffee martini, perched on her lips.
Q: Top 5 travel destinations?
The French Riviera, Positano Italy, The Swiss Alps, Tropical North Queensland, and Paris. I’m a little obsessed with Paris. I have Parisian postcards, notebooks, cushions, and pictures, but I think it’s more for the sense of romance and excitement evoked by the idea of Paris, rather than the city itself.
Q: Must-have beauty product?
I’ve tried it all, from Crème del a Mer to La Prairie, but nothing feels as good on my skin as raw coconut oil. I use it for everything from makeup remover to face and body moisturizer. I even cook with it.
Q: What’s your fashion style?
My husband calls me ‘Flashdance’ — apparently I have a lot of tops that come off one shoulder! But I’d like to think my style is BoHo Chic. I’m definitely most comfortable in jeans or a maxi-dress, maybe a chunky accessory. That’s if I manage to get out of my yoga pants for the day. 😉 Being a stay-at-home mum and a writer tends to limit your fashion options to ‘comfy at the computer’ and ‘what will hide food stains?’
Q: Favorite books?
My favorite chick lit books are Bridget Jones’s Diary, by Helen Fielding, Jemima J, by Jane Green, and Confessions of a Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella. They were my first introduction to the whimsical world and sassy tone of chick lit and what inspired me to write in this genre.
Non chick-lit favorites are Way of the Peaceful Warrior, by Dan Millman, and The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle.
Q: Any real life chick lit stories?
Hmmm. Well, my husband’s mother set us up. That sounds like a premise for a novel, right there! I met Mama Bates on a yoga teacher training course in Santa Barbara. After 3 weeks of avoiding the topic, I finally caved and gave her my email address to give to her son. As it turns out, she was right. We were perfect for each other.
- • I’m a certified Yoga teacher.
- • I have two tattoos; a small Sanskrit OM symbol on my shoulder and a combined sun/moon on my hip.
- • I’m addicted to soy lattes and dark chocolate. I try to give them both up, daily.
- • As well as chick lit novels, I’ve written six screenplays and a collection of humorous essays.
- • I had my first child using the Hypno-birthing method (no drugs, not even gas), which meant about 24 hours of excruciating pain and 2 years of post partum depression. With my second child I had the epidural booked in my second trimester, just to be on the safe side. 😉